Tuesday, March 27, 2018

The one with the ladder.

Last week I shared a post on instagram mentioning a marriage miscommunication about a ladder. A few of you asked about it and found it comical so I thought I would bring you in on "the one with the ladder." Enjoy a good laugh, learn something, and feel free to share something similar because no marriage is perfect y'all!

Fabian had been completing a project in our kitchen that required a 6 foot ladder. You see our galley kitchen opens up to our dining room which is where Jax normally plays when we all return home in the afternoon. On this particular day we all returned home at the same time and were getting ready to go on a walk to the park to take some photos. After seeing the ladder leaned against the wall for the second day in a row I stated, "that ladder really isn't safe there." I could just picture Jax pulling it over and something bad happening.
Long story short, this escalated into a full blown argument. We started calling each other out for stuff that we weren't doing at home. Silly stuff like washing the dishes, picking up after ourselves, seeing things that need to be done and just doing them without being told. I said the phrase, "I am not your mom," and Fabian said the phrase, "well you have two hands just like me." After all of that we still decided to go on the most awkwardly silent walk to the park still not having resolved anything. Since I was the one who thought it was not safe, then I should move the ladder right? Well, I expected Fabian to pick up after himself since it was his project.

When you enter into a relationship and marriage your role is to serve. Serving your spouse brings equality to the household. Fabian is not better than me and I am not better than him. Sometimes we forget this when phrases like, "I always," or "You never," come out of our mouth. Serving each other is about helping one another and being apart of each other's lives. The more we do life together and the more we invest, the more passion we have in this awesome thing called marriage. 

So who won the ladder argument? Well, we both lost. We were prideful and chose not to serve one another. However, the ladder did get moved, apologies were made, and the passion in our marriage... yea we still got it! 

2 comments:

  1. How many of us can relate to this? I appreciate your point about who won. No one wins these things, but we can definitely use them as opportunities to learn and grow with one another! Three cheers for marriage! (And having 2 hands, am I right?! lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Mary, yes! The comment about two hands made me laugh! I think we can officially say that we are out of the newlywed phase! Thanks for reading!

      Delete